Settling In After Moving House Part 2

                                                                                                     Image:Marie Vonow
Just as packing up and moving house is an involved process, so is unpacking and getting settled again. In minamaries.blogspot.com/2019/05/settling-in-after-moving-house-part-1.html I wrote about the challenges of finding somewhere to put all our things in the 'new' house, the need to purchase some furniture and having to dispose of items no longer needed. But there's more to getting settled. We have also started doing some of our shopping at different places (even though we only moved 4 kilometres), changed our mailing address with various organisations and notified friends of our new address. The activities I have enjoyed most are adding decorative touches to make the house ours and planting things in the garden.

Patronising different shops
I do the bulk of my grocery shopping online with the same supermarket as previously. Not having a car, this is such a convenient service. However, I am closer to two supermarkets than where I lived previously. There is a butcher in the shopping complex which is ten minutes walk away and a bakery five minutes away. As a result I do more of my grocery shopping in person. I still buy heavy and bulky items online and appreciate the convenience of getting those items delivered.

Aldi is close by. Prior to moving I had only shopped at Aldi a couple of times because it wasn't close to home. Now I often buy a few items there and bring them home in my shopping trolley.

However, when I lived closer to a station I regularly caught the train to another suburb where I can get fruit and vegetables at bargain prices. I have only shopped there twice since moving. But now the weather is cooler making it more pleasant to walk longer distances I may go there more frequently.

Image:Marie Vonow
I have started using the chemist in the nearby shopping complex instead of the one I used to go to. 

The range of products is good. The extended hours of opening, including being open on Sundays is most convenient.
As a bonus, their prices tend to be lower.


Change of mailing address
I notified Australia Post of my change of address prior to moving so mail could be redirected. In addition, I changed my address online where possible and notified doctor, dentist etc that I had moved. I made a few phone calls but in one case I was informed I would have to put the change in writing and sign the letter for the organisation to be able to change my address. This has all taken time.

In this day and age of many accounts and newsletters coming via email I didn't think much mail would need to be redirected after I had notified organisations. I have been surprised at the number of letters that have required redirection. There was even an unexpected parcel.

Making the house our home
This is the fun bit. We bought curtains for three rooms where there were just venetian blinds. Blinds provide privacy and block out the light but don't add character or make a room feel cosy. I find it amazing what difference a set of curtains makes. 

Back in the seventies when I set up my first home I enjoyed choosing patterned fabric and sewing curtains. This time I bought them ready made.

There are bird of paradise flowers in the garden so I couldn't resist buying a framed picture of them when I was buying curtains at Spotlight. I also bought two oval shaped bird plaques from a local op shop.

One of the bird plaques I bought at an op shop   Image:Marie Vonow
I have hung various decorations outside including a metal swallow I came across when out browsing in a vintage type shop with a friend. In addition, I have hung solar fairy lights from the pergola. This adds a magical touch at night. These things add our personality and were chosen for this house.

Planting things in the garden
The garden was a major factor that attracted us to this house. As well as verandahs on two sides of the house, there are shrubs and trees to provide shade. We appreciated this during the hot summer.

The birds love perching in the trees and I found a nest in one of the shrubs. It is lovely to wake to the sound of kookaburras some mornings.

During summer I restricted my gardening to planting things in pots and shady areas, mostly under the pergola. I have found coleus and impatiens are two plants that thrive in here and there are plenty of hooks to hang baskets from.
Coleus         Image:Marie Vonow

Now the weather is cooler, I have planted vegetable and herb seeds such as lettuce, rocket, shallots, coriander, silver beet and spinach. I planted flowers including sweet peas too. I particularly love sweet peas because my grandmother used to grow them.

A few bulbs planted by the previous occupants have come up. I don't know what sort they are. Tomorrow I will plant some bulbs of my own which I hope will provide a pretty display come spring.

Yes, we have settled in and this is home.

Comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts