5 Ways To Use Baby Spinach

Baby spinach is so versatile.                      Image:Marie Vonow

I love baby spinach and use it in various ways. When I moved house I didn't have any growing here so have been buying it. Now I have some growing in my 'new' garden and can start picking fresh home grown spinach once more.

I can pick start picking home grown baby spinach again  Image:M Vonow
Why bother to grow your own vegetables?
I like to grow some vegetables. They taste better and you can pick the amount you need and cook or prepare straight away meaning they are super fresh. If you pick produce from the garden and use it immediately you don't have to check a best by date on a packet of salad and you don't discover what you were planning to use is starting to go black and slimy. You are also avoiding having to work out what to do with the packaging, can it be recycled or is it one more item going to landfill?

What's so good about spinach?
  
Spinach is nutritious
Spinach contains-
  • iron
  • calcium
  • potassium
  • protein
  • riboflavin
  • magnesium
  • manganese
  • folate
  • Vitamin C
  • Vitamin B6
  • Vitamin A
  • Vitamin K
  • dietary fibre
  • anti-inflammatory properties
  • anti-cancer properties
What are some ways to use baby spinach?

Spinach for breakfast
Place fresh spinach on a plate and top with cooked tomatoes, egg and bacon. The egg can be fried or poached. You may like to substitute a sausage for the bacon. Another possibility is to have an egg and leftover tomato and sausage as shown in the image below. I was wondering what to do with the excess from tea tonight (this is a slow cooker dish served with rice) and it just occurred to me it would be great for breakfast. I hope I remember to take a photo for this post. The spinach can be lightly steamed if you prefer it cooked.

Spinach with poached egg and leftover tomato and sausage for brekkie                    Image:M. Vonow
Fresh spinach in a sandwich
Spinach can be used instead of lettuce in a sandwich. Cut it up with clean scissors if you prefer smaller pieces. It tastes great with ham, chicken or salami and your favourite chutney or relish.

Spinach in a toasted sandwich
Variations on the toasted sandwich is a favourite of mine for lunch at the moment. I like to use multi-grain bread and spread it lightly with butter or margarine. I then add one of the following combinations -
  • Ham or chicken, camembert or brie sliced thinly, chutney and baby spinach
  • Sliced meat, cream cheese, tomato and baby spinach
  • Thinly sliced roast pork, chutney or mustard and baby spinach
  • Sliced meat, sliced cheddar cheese, thinly sliced red onion and baby spinach
I heat mine in a sandwich press until brown and then sit down outside and enjoy.

I love toasted sandwiches            Image:Marie Vonow

Spinach in scrambled eggs
Spinach can be added to scrambled eggs along with chopped bacon, grated cheese and chopped tomatoes. Season with a little salt and pepper to taste or just season with lemon pepper.


Spinach in quiche
Add chopped spinach to your favourite quiche lorraine recipe. It can also be added to a tuna quiche.

I find spinach a versatile vegetable and I use it frequently, so glad I have my own supply of fresh spinach again. Yes, I know Popeye was more than happy to eat tinned spinach but I like mine fresh from the garden.

Comments

  1. Those are great ideas, Marie! We had some baby spinach growing in our veggie patch earlier this year, and it would be good to have some again, perhaps once winter is over. At the moment we have garlic and snow peas growing , but they both take quite a while to be ready to eat - baby spinach is so quick and you can just pick off however much you want, and have is super fresh, as you indicated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love any veggies and herbs that grow quickly, can be picked as you want them and then they grow again. I cut some garlic chives to have with my soup for lunch and they will grow again soon.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment xxx What a Darling!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts