Bargain Fruit And Veg

Budget friendly prices on a range of fruit and veg                        Image:Marie Vonow
I caught the train this morning and took a 30 minute ride to buy bargain priced fruit and vegetables. The large eggs there are usually $2 a dozen, which is cheaper than other places. Yes, I could have got what I needed earlier in the week when I ordered groceries online. However, the place I went to has their stuff at budget friendly prices and I get to hand pick what I want.

I rather enjoy the train trip which is free thanks to my senior card. It's interesting to go to another suburb, quite a different vibe. There's also street art at the railway station to add to my enjoyment. And after shopping I go to a nice cafe for a cappuccino which I can easily afford with the money I have saved. A bonus is getting to read the daily newspaper and glossy fashion magazines for free.

Today my bargains included potatoes at 68c a kg, a $2 pineapple, carrots at 79c a kg, zucchinis for $1.49 per kg, Spanish onions $1.99 a kg and bananas at 79c a kg.

I enjoy fruit and veg and always make sure I have plenty on hand. I grow some of my own, more about that another day. 

My neighbour sometimes has a glut of zucchinis, onions or cucumbers which she passes to me over the side fence. Last winter I was able to supply her with coriander. Come summer I offered tomatoes but she had plenty of her own.

There is also a produce swap at one of the local parks on a Saturday morning. Sometimes I go along and swap whatever I have a surplus of for produce from others. People swap eggs, empty jars, egg cartons, pots, cuttings, seeds and gardening magazines as well as fruit, vegetables and plants. It's a great arrangement and you pick up gardening tips relevant to the local area.

In addition there are Grow Free carts in several locations around town. Here people leave their surplus and others take what they need. It's an idea that started in the town of Meadows a few years ago and has taken off in other areas. I like the community feel that accompanies these initiatives.

Nearly forgot to mention the Sunday market in the car park of the nearby railway station. As well as fruit and veg there are stalls selling fish, bakery items, plants, DVDs, bric-a-brac, jewellery, wooden crafts, books and more.

So, my fruit and vegies come from a variety of sources. If I buy too much or get given more than I can manage I freeze the excess wherever possible. I'll be busy making soup this afternoon, I do love a homemade veggie soup eaten with toast or cheesy muffins.

Comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts